Oregon Personal Injury Lawyer | Oregon Business Lawyer

Christopher T. Hill, PC

A Professional Corporation
Home - Personal Injury Oregon Practice Areas - Uninsured,
Hit and Run, Underinsured Motorist

Uninsured Motorist
and Hit and Run Insurance Coverage

Uninsured motorist (UM) bodily injury coverage is required coverage in Oregon. Hit and run and phantom vehicle coverages are a required part of uninsured motorist policies in Oregon. UM insurance claims involve an uninsured driver in an uninsured car, a hit-and-run with vehicle contact followed by the driver fleeing the scene, or a phantom vehicle which does not make contact with any other vehicles and leaves the scene. Hit and run and phantom vehicle claims have certain witnessing and government reporting requirements. The insured has a claim against their own insurance company for UM benefits, which are the damages that the uninsured motorist owes to the insured up to the policy limit. Your insurance claim attorney should be familiar with uninsured motorist cases.

Underinsured Motorist Insurance Coverage

UIM comes into play when the damages caused by a driver exceed that driver's policy limits and there is a UIM policy available on the car which was hit or on the person who is making the UIM claim. Surprisingly, there are a number of insurers in Oregon with defective policies which allow their insured to make an underinsured motorist claim without having to pursue the claim against the other driver first. Once a UIM claim is involved, finding an insurance claim attorney is a good idea both because the injuries will be severe enough to trigger a second layer of coverage, and because of the complexity involved with underinsured motorist laws and reimbursement of the PIP policy. Your insurance settlement may be eaten away by your own insurance company if the UIM and PIP claims are not handled properly.